Trials of Various Kinds

by 12:53 PM 0 comments
Count it all joy, my brothers,[a] when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

I've always tried to be genuine, open, and honest.  There is no joy counting here; none.  I'm not running around thanking God for the challenges we've faced this last week.  I have seen God move in our lives though and it always leads me back to this one quote:


“I have learned to kiss the waves that throw me up against the Rock of Ages” 
― Charles Haddon Spurgeon


On Friday evening Baby R managed to grab a little kettle of near-boiling hot water restaurants give you for tea and dump it in his lap.  The next 16 hours were all a blur of activity!  After three emergency rooms, two ambulance rides, and a whole lot of prayer warriors we ended up being admitted to hospital with a cutting edge burn center.  Baby R had 2nd degree burns over 8% of his body (read that as the front of his leg, thigh to ankle). We were discharged by the burn center on Saturday afternoon and looked forward to recuperating at home.  Sunday we missed church (obviously) but Baby R played and was his usual self all day long.


Then early Monday morning, Baby R started throwing up.  He couldn't hold down anything, including his pain meds.  Once we hit 12+ hours without Baby R being able to take in any fluids, his burn surgeon suggested we bring him back to the ER because dehydration is a major issue.  Not just for little guys but also for burn victims.  We spent 16 more hours in an ER on Monday, but Baby R was able to get re-hydrated and some medicine to help him keep food and medicine down.  The medical staff assumed it was a virus, likely picked up in one of the ERs so we would just have to let it run it's course.

As soon as he got some fluids, Baby R perked right back up!
Tuesday, our Preschooler J started vomiting.  It was frustrating because we were still exhausted, but also a slight relief because it confirmed that the burn injury had not caused Baby R's vomiting. Whew, I'm putting even the smallest blessings in the win column!  By Wednesday, Baby R and Preschooler J were over the vomiting.  However, Tween T woke up throwing up.  At that point, I started to wonder if we were all destined to succumb to whatever virus Baby R brought home. 

Baby R was trying his best to make Preschooler J feel better.
So what now? What could I possibly take away from this whole ordeal.  First, I have a strange sense of being fulfilled; sustained.  I am tired and overwhelmed, but my soul is filled to brimming.  I started to write out all that I have seen God doing, but the list was getting so long and Baby R is about to wake up.  Maybe one day soon, when I'm rested, I can reflect back and stitch together all God is doing. 


In the meantime, if I don't post much.... you know why.


Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6