Only Ask For Your Best

by 6:53 AM 0 comments
This week starts my painfully slow breakdown of all our Christmas decorations.  I know I won't even get started on that project today since I have errands to run all morning (once #3 wakes up) and appointments this evening.  I'm five days behind on my YouVersion daily bible reading plan.  Both sides of my sink are full of soaking dishes that need loading into the dishwasher.  There are at least three piles of laundry to do, not counting the sheets still on all the beds.  My #1 son headed back to school today and will no doubt come home with plenty of homework.  When I took stock of my day over a hot cup of coffee, I had to make a choice - be overwhelmed or do my best.  Then it hit me...

I have been telling my eldest since Kindergarten, "I want you to always do the best you can do,"  I never wanted my kids to be worried about making a certain grade or achieving a certain milestone.  I purpose to allow my children to grow into the men God has designed them to be.  My prayer is that I won't impose my idea of who they should be on them.  Hubby and I work hard to give them the room to try new things, like AND not like those things, and make mistakes to learn from.  Yes, sometimes #1 comes home with a bad grade. Each time I ask him, "did you do the best you could at that moment?"  Occasionally he admits he didn't, to which I simply reply, "well then you earned that grade".  When he's done his best, I don't shame him for what he earned.  I asked him if there's anything I can do to help him out.  

I often see God from the perspective of a loving parent.  He loves us beyond measure, sets rules and boundaries to keep us safe, disciplines us when we get too big for our britches, and celebrates with us when we really have done our best.  I could feel like a failure as a mom, housekeeper, wife, friend, blogger, and just about any other title I carry.  Today, I choose to do the best that I can.  God has already handled this day for me.  All the details are worked out.  I need only to walk in faith and do my best.

Deuteronomy 31:8 "The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."


Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6