Parenting Sucks

by 9:46 AM 2 comments
I kid you not, I have seen/heard the phrase "parenting sucks" a lot over the last 24 hours.  Maybe it was the blood moon last night/this morning but something was definitely in the air with the kids!  Our toddler was LITERALLY bouncing all over the place right up until I tucked him into bed.  Mom found a vulgar phrase scribbled inconspicuously on one of our big kid's worksheets from school.  It was a downhill from there.  Hubby and I were so at a loss for what we should do next that we sent the kids to bed and spent the rest of the evening staring blankly at each other, totally speechless, and out of ideas.  At least we're in this crazy thing together!

This morning I was reminded of a devotional I did for a dear friend's baby shower last month.  I talked about a lot of things - what makes a good mother, nurturing a mom, working moms, and evil mommy guilt.  At the end, I shared this with her along with friends and family who were there:

All of that to say... extend yourself some grace.  In the end we only want the best for our patience-testing, rarely listening, crying, pooping, mess making tiny humans.  During the hardest days, on the sleepless nights, when your children test you the most... remember GOD HAS REBELLIOUS CHILDREN TOO

We are His patience-testing, rarely listening, crying, pooping, mess making humans!  Seek the comfort that can only come from a Father who’s an endlessly wise, loving, disciplinarian; constantly extending us grace and forgiveness because He only wants the very best for us too.

Ah, how funny that something I wrote weeks ago for someone else circles back to remind me of the truth of it all.  God knows I am no better than my children when it comes to doing what is best for myself.  I'm going to bounce off the walls, test my limits, and occasionally express my anger and frustration via vulgarity.  

Lamentations 3:22-23 - The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

We get a clean slate each morning. A chance to recognize that we've done wrong and return to our Father in Heaven with repentant hearts.  My big kid illustrated that to me this morning when he left me a sweet, handwritten note.  It doesn't directly say he's sorry for what he did, but focuses on the fact that he said hurtful things and reminded me that he loves me very much.  

Sometimes the pupil becomes the teacher......

Now when our big kid comes home, I will greet him with love and forgiveness extended through grace.  Remembering Luke 6:36 - Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. God gives me grace and forgiveness even though I stumble all the time.  He picks me up, dusts me off, and tells me he knows I'm doing my best even when I make mistakes.  Time to let my kids know the same thing!


Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! And what a sweet note from your son. They always manage to stop us in our tracks with those random acts of kindness, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He wrote a whole letter on the front side of that drawing too. I found it this morning and melted a lot. Got me!

    ReplyDelete

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6