September #lampandlight Day 1

by 9:39 AM 0 comments
Happy Labor Day!  I love that the first day of the scripture challenge falls on a holiday designed to be about rest and rejuvenation (not that everyone gets to rest or relax today, but a girl can dream).  God designed rest to be a part of our lives; it's that important.  God wasn't tired from spending six days bringing creation into existence, but he knew the importance of setting the example for us to rest and simply be still; ideally with him!

I mentioned in my earlier post that I have been working through the book of Proverbs.  Have you ever actually sat down just to read through Proverbs?  I know we reference it a lot in bible studies and speaking engagements; but I have gleaned so much from just reading through it!  Today's #lampandlight reading came out of Proverbs Chapter 12.

On Sunday evenings, a small group of women from our church meet to do a bible study together.  Each week our study leader prepares a lesson.  It could be anything from a special request, experiences we've had during the week, or simply what God has laid on her heart to discuss.  This week, she brought a vivid and telling lesson on the power of words to hurt us. This lesson compared the wounds words inflict and how to heal them to physical wounds and the first aid you would provide for them.

Then in today's chapter in Proverbs I see so many of those same themes reiterated over and over:

The words of the wicked are murderous, but the words of the righteous rescue those who are threatened. - Proverbs 12:6 (GNT)

When a fool is annoyed, he quickly lets it be known. Smart people will ignore an insult. - Proverbs 12:16 (GNT)

Thoughtless words can wound as deeply as any sword, but wisely spoken words can heal. - Proverbs 12:18 (GNT)

Worry can rob you of happiness, but kind words will cheer you up. - Proverbs 12:25 (GNT)

During the entire study last night, I put myself in the place of the person who uses cutting, puncturing, burning words.  Most of the time, I don't intend to hurt people, although there are still times when my sin nature gets the better of me.  It was sobering for me to be reminded that often words, even those with no malicious intent, can wound others deeply.

I have friendships to mend because of words I have used; maybe some of those relationships will never heal while others become stronger than before.  I trust that as I seek God and allow him to change my heart, I will battle less and less with hurling the wrong words at the people around me.  I'm thankful to God that he used today's reading to reiterate what I learned in bible study.  It's a like a morning (ok, mid-day review) of the material covered last night!


Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6