Just A Mom

by 11:32 AM 0 comments
I'd like to address the fact that I am "just a mom".  How I had a long business-marketing career (12+ years) and a bachelor's degree in marketing and it was "all for what, mothering?"  Yes!  Yes it was!  I know some people might look at my details and see money or time spent now swirling the drain.... but I've seen the Glory that I give to God through my education and my talents.  I genuinely believe that God has given us all talents so we can fulfill a specific purpose on this Earth (I'll quantify that with verse references to that as I find them again).  My heart always longed to be with my children.

With my eldest I was fortunate to be a stay at home mom (SAHM) from the beginning.  He was 4 years old before our family needed me to start working again.  When I did return to work, I worked 40 +/- hours a week for 4 1/2 years.  When I lost my "8-5 job" we had grown to a family of four and I began working longer hours, 5-6 days a week, farther away for the next three months.  A single job wasn't making ends meet, so I began a second job.  My "two-job days" often kept me away from my family as many as 18 hours a day.  Needless to say - I was incredibly tired and longed to be at home. Tenth Avenue North's song "Worn" was my theme during that period of our lives.


I knew in my heart that God didn't intend for me to be away from my family like that forever.  I also recognized it was necessary for helping me become who God needed me to be. When my husband was offered a better paying job, his new schedule required me to stop working at the restaurant. Within six weeks of being back to one job, it became clear that it didn't make sense to keep working.  That's when the questions started.... what are you going to do staying home all day?  Are you kidding!?  I get to play with my kids, pack lunches, welcome my son home after school, help with homework, actually do some cleaning, spend time with friends for a change... this was going to be great!  But you worked so hard to get your degree and experience; why are you throwing all that away?  And therein lies the heart of the question.

I have thrown NOTHING away.  My education and experience (we'll refer to them as assets) make me able to do what I'm doing now. I use my business assets every day to manage my household, juggle schedules, multitask and more! I'm also able to help my church in a way I never could before.  I work with the communications team and help manage the church website.  I would have not been able to do that if it weren't for the assets I've gained over the years!

Everything I am doing now would not be possible without the roads God put me on.  Plus, I have a significant sense of accomplishment and feel more rewarded than any job has EVER given me.  I'm happy, satisfied working for the Lord in everything I do.  Can you say that?  Can you say your happy and satisfied in everything that you do?

If not, let's talk about that.  

Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6