Philippians 4:6 Applications

by 5:42 PM 0 comments
So you may have noticed my favorite verse floating around:
Philippians 4:6 (ESV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
So why is that my favorite verse? God wants us to know that we should not be filled with fear or worry. Instead we should seek him prayerfully in all the details and circumstances of life ("in everything"). Coming to God humbly ("supplication") with praise and gratitude for what he has already done ("thanksgiving") to ask for what we need ("requests"). 

During this "in between" time when nothing much really seemed to be happening, I spent a lot of time living on Philippians 4:6.  I often asked God if he would give me a glimpse of His plan for us. Hubby spent hours applying for jobs trying to bridge our income gap and he was frustrated at getting nowhere.  I always tried to reassure him - there is a reason, there's a reason you are still there.  We have to trust that there is a reason, and it's part of the plan.... when the time comes for the next phase of the plan, the opportunities will be clear.  At least, that was my prayer - God, don't let me miss the opportunity.  Don't let me get so bogged down in the mud and exhaustion that I miss it completely!  Sometimes, it really wasn't him I was trying to encourage.  >>Guilty<<

When my hubby was still in the Marine Corps, I joked with him often saying things like "I'm really looking forward to having you around long enough to get tired of you...."  One of my favorite things when we left the Marine Corps was being able to have lunch with him regularly.  We have two kids at home and having lunch a few times a week was like having a mini-date.  No kids, no exhaustion, and quality time spent stuffing our faces together.  :)  Nom,  nom, nom.....

During one of these times, hubs and I were chatting and he says "What would you say if I told you I was thinking of finishing my degree?"  *looks around* And he accuses me of saying stuff from way off in left field, lol.  Back story - when he was in the military, he was pursuing his degree online, but it's hard to concentrate when you're always being shot at, so he put his education on hold - indefinitely.  I said "That would be....."

Suddenly I got this feeling - I'm not sure how to explain it; kind of like when you are in a building at night and get scared, but instead of cold chills that freak you out these were the opposite.  Something akin to warm chills (is that a thing??) that left me feeling super comfortable.  I hadn't even processed what I was going to say and out of my mouth came ".... great, maybe that's been the plan all along."  Yep, there it is - I lobbed that one in from left field.  God - was that you?

We started discussing this school thing as a possible reality.  What would that mean financially?  How would it work with our jobs?  How would we carve out time for homework and the other stuff on top of all the other buzzing chainsaws we're juggling?


God wants us to know that we should not be filled with fear or worry.... 
God this is crazy!!  How are we going to pay for school?   It's so expensive!!  And my TWO jobs?? I can barely function as it is.  He's already working overtime. There's no way we can pull this off.....  there just isn't time for this.

Instead we should seek him prayerfully in all the details and circumstances of life ("in everything").
Ok God, there's a reason this is my favorite verse.  You know how concerned I am.  I  have all these questions about how this puzzle goes together.  Can you send a few more pieces my way, or maybe the picture on the front of the box?  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to support this endeavor with a marriage to maintain, two jobs to fulfill without wigging out, two kids to raise without beating mercilessly, and somewhere in there I have to sleep or I'll run off the road snoring. 

Coming to God humbly ("supplication")....
I realize I'm only human, and I can't do this without you.  Sure I can try, I have tried, but then I fail miserably.  I realize it's only when I cry out for Your help that I am able to make the ends meet and fulfill all the duties You have made me responsible for.

with praise and gratitude for what he has already done ("thanksgiving")...
Thank you God, for all those times you have gotten me though.  You make sure that I have moments to cuddle with my babies, to rock Jonathan after a long night, or to sit and chat with Tyler while the rest of the house is sleeping.  Thank you for the encouragers you have put in my path when I've needed them most.  Thank you for the verses from the Bible that remind me to keep my focus on you and not listen to the whispers of the Devil.  

to ask for what we need ("requests"). 
Please grant me serenity God to hear your voice and get me out of the way so You can speak through me. Please give me the physical ability to meet the demands of this phase of life we're in.  Allow me to see the opportunities and embrace them as soon as they come.  Please don't let me fall off the cliff and into some kind of mental abyss ... or run off the road snoring.  Please also don't let the Folgers, Maxwell House, or Dr, Pepper plants blow up.  Amen.

Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6