Elephants In The Room

by 9:39 AM 0 comments
"A church is not a museum for saints, it is a hospital for sinners."

I have no idea who originally said that, but in my head I hear my Mother's voice; she said it often.  For a long time, I thought it was just one of those Christian-y things people said.  Now, I wonder if it helped her to maintain perspective when times got hard, feelings got hurt, and people forgot how to act.  That statement helps me keep my priorities focused on reflecting Christ and not my own agenda when times get tough.

We are supposed to love the sinner and hate the sin.  God used a recent situation to show me how to behave when things hit the fan and the whole situation just stinks.  I originally reacted in much the same way anyone would.  Then I listened to a Sunday School lesson where I was reminded that my goal should FIRST AND FOREMOST be to point people to Christ.  Often, when life seems to crumble we are always quick to place blame and condemn.  I was reminded that all too often, sin comes from a place of deep brokenness.  There's only one person I know who can fix those kinds of hurts.

Romans 12:20-21 ESV
To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

My initial reaction(s) did not point anyone toward Christ. He would be the only person who could forgive, restore, and heal.  From that point forward, I purposed to use each opportunity to point people to God and reflect His love.  Is it easy?  Not always, but when you see people through God's eyes, it's easier.  When people make bad decisions, I try to look beyond what I see with my plank-filled eye, and see the soul God placed in that body.

Jude 1:22-23 ESV 
And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

Our value, our God-given gifts and purpose, are not diminished by our sin.  No more than a diamond's shine is diminished.  We need someone to clean us off and polish us off.  Next time you are sitting with the elephant in the room, remind them that God loves them no differently than He did when they were a minute old.  Point them toward Christ.  Guide them to a hospital for sinners.  Help tend to the wounds on the outside as God works on healing from the inside.  

1 John 1:8-9 ESV 
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 8:7 ESV 
And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”





Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6