Faith in the Unpleasant Seasons

by 7:40 AM 0 comments
Many friends and loved ones are walking difficult roads right now.  We can say we have faith, trust God's plan, know better days are ahead.  We may even believe it; but what do you do when it's more than you can take to simply put on foot in front of the other?

I'm reminded of a night, just before Christmas, when I was still in training at the restaurant.  We were exceptionally busy and I was running circles - bread, beverage station, bar, appetizers, salads, entrees... I was running an inside marathon!

My feet, legs, and hips ached in ways I couldn't describe.  My head was throbbing and I was so tired I couldn't see straight.  I remember I had just picked up an order of drinks and was headed down the hallway to my section.  That hallway was maybe a few dozen feet, but in that moment, it was miles!

In my heart and head I begged God for help.  I could barely move under my own power and we weren't even through the dinner rush.  How could I put one foot in front of another when my legs felt like they would give out with each step?!  Godhelp me.  I can't make it through this night without you.  You said in our weakness we will be made strong.  I'm so tiredHurting so much.  I can't go on without you!  Please just keep me moving!!  Don't let me fall...

I barely remember the rest of that night.  Its like a scratched DVD that skips and hops all over the place.  I plastered on a smile around customers and winced in agony in the kitchen.  I tried to convince myself I'd survive when I was pretty sure I was about to drop. At the end of that shift, I remember sitting in my car thanking God for every ounce of endurance He gave me.  I knew, in that moment, that I could rely on Him to help me make it when I just don't have the fortitude to do it on my own.

We all have those moments.  Maybe yours is physical.  For some it's mental, emotional, even spiritual.  Dare I say, a combination of them all?  Sometimes we don't have the wherewithal to keep moving.  Our agony is too great, the burden too heavy, and our bodies are about to buckle under the strain.

This is where lots of people say "God will never give you more than you can handle".  I don't believe that, although my Mom and I have agreed to disagree on it's scriptural authenticity.  I believe God often gives, Christians especially, more than we can handle.  Why?  Two reasons.  (1) To make sure we remain reliant on Him, lest we start to believe we can handle this life thing all on our own.  (2) To send us running back to Him and His word so we can be more fulfilled by Him. 

I have learned an important lesson the last couple of years. When the going gets tough, run to God.  He's waiting for you to simply trust Him to do what He's promised.  What did He promise exactly?  The Bible is filled with his promises to us so I encourage you to begin there.  

Here's a sampling of the promises I stand on when I can't stand on my own.  What are some of your go-to verses when the storms rage?

—Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

—Matthew 11:28-29 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

—Isaiah 40:29-31 "He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.  Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion.  But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint."

Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6