Big Kid Brag & Galatians 5

by 4:56 PM 0 comments
The days I watch sweet, six week old baby C,  it's harder to blog.  It's hard to take your eyes off of him for even a few minutes.  My big boy and my toddler both love having him here as well.  C is here 3x a week since his Momma has gone back to working and we couldn't be happier to take care of him.  That was one thing I looked forward to when I stopped working - being able to help my friends with childcare as they needed it.

We're almost at the end of Galatians, just two more chapters to go! Normally this is where I'd tell you to leave me a comment below or on the Facebook page if you have a specific book of the bible you'd like to see featured next.  However, pretty soon I am going to debut a new feature so we're going to hold off on picking a new chapter just yet.... that being said, if you have a book of the bible on your heart please don't hesitate to send the suggestion my way!

Big Kid Brag

I'm taking this moment to be such a Mom.  Today was my Big Kid's last day of 4th grade and yesterday was the awards ceremony.  My son walked away with awards for excellent attendance, academic achievement, and excellence in environmental science.  He's very proud of the hard work he put in and is enjoying the rewards of all his effort!

Galatians 5


The first part of this chapter can be easy to pass over because it talks specifically about circumcision - and if you've never had a penis it's easy to skip over that all too quickly.  Let me slow you down a moment and take into consideration that the reason Paul felt the need to address circumcision because it was an ACT that the Galatians had been led to believe would put them right in the eyes of God.  The danger here is that the only ACT that can do that was Jesus dying on the cross.  The only way we can be made right in the eyes of God is to be redeemed through the blood of Christ.  That's it.  Not trimming off the foreskin of the penis, not doing penance for our sinful thoughts and deeds, not checking off all the items on the "good Christian" checklist.  Only Jesus has the power to save us, we are completely powerless.  Still feel like skipping over that part means you didn't miss out?  Yeah, me too.

The second part of Galatians 5 discusses a question that many Christians and non-Christians wrestle with: If God has forgiven all of my sins past and present, doesn't that mean I can pretty much do whatever I want now seeing as how I'm forgiven and all?  The answer: No, no you cannot.

When we are saved, when we turn our mind, body and soul over to Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes to live within us - read 1 Corinthians 3:16, Ezekiel 36:27, 2 Timothy 1:14, and John 16:13.  Paul points out here (specifically in verses 13 and 16) that the Holy Spirit is an agent of change within us and brings with it certain qualities.  Paul describes them in verse 22-23 as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control.  Those qualities fly in the face of selfish ambition, base desires, and our sin filled past.  If you are truly redeemed by the Savior, you will begin to see these "fruits of the spirit" developing in you.  If you aren't seeing these fruits, I recommend you run DON'T WALK to your nearest bible and start seeking out the Savior for answers because that throws up more red flags than playing minesweeper on hard.



Jodi @ God Still Speaks

Head Writer

Boy mom of three. Married to the same man since 2002. Former working mom turned stay-at-home mom. I love my faith, family, and coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests to made known to God. — Philippians 4:6